Department of Panchakarma
Dr Nirmal Bhusal
Assistant Professor & Head of Department
Pancha karma is a unique bio purificatory therapies discribed in Ayurveda through which almost all the disorders mentioned in ashtanga (different branches) of Ayurveda can be treated. The Department was established on 2071 B.S. Ayurveda mainly treat the patient by either Samshodhana (Purificative / Bio-cleansing ) or Samshamana (Palliative) Treatment. The main aim of Ayurveda is maintanance of health in a healthy individuals and to treat the disease in a patient. Both these aims of Ayurveda are acheived through Panchakarma. Panchakarma which include five major procedures Vamana(Therapeutic emesis), Virechana(Therapeutic purgation), Basti(Therapeutic Cleansing Enema &Therapeutic Oil Enema), Nasya(Therapeutic Nasal Administration of Medicine), Raktamokshana (bloodletting ) are mainly bio cleansing in nature. Apart from this several other internal and external therapies are administered in the department of Panchakarma for the treatment of various diseases mainly musculoskeletal , neurological, skin, metabolic, life style, Allergic , Respiratory and Psychiatric diseases, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ankylosing spondylitis, Sciatica, Hemiplegia, Diabetes, Psoriasis, Hypertension, Obesity, Sexual dysfunction, Dislipidemia. This department renders service to the society by treating almost all type of patients. It also provides service as a preventive and health promotive medicine. It extends support to other departments for treating the patients through Panchakarma. The Department is engaged in the training of UG students, theoretical as well as practical teaching, training and guidance on Treatment in the Subject of Panchakarma. Besides theoretical as well as practical teaching, training and guidance, the Department also engaged students in bed-side clinics in Panchakarma. 1 Assistant Professor and 1 Teaching Assistant with 2 other Supporting technical staff are working in the Department. Panchakarma treatment and allied therapies are provided to the patient at OPD and IPD levels.
To get recognized in preventive and curative health through principles of Ayurveda and Panchakarma in national and international level by Hospital service and producing good human resources.
To be an outstanding center of excellence for Panchakarma Preventive and curative health care and set the highest standards for education, Research, and Patient Care through Panchakarma for the benefit of humanity and Provide service through OPD/ IPD in different areas of health like-preventive , promotive and curative, Rejuvenation of body and mind, management and rehabilitation of various neuro muscular disorders, chronic musculoskeletal, neurological, Autoimmune and lifestyle diseases
Goals & Objectives:
- To train Scholars by hands on practice of Ayurveda medicine in general and Panchakarma in particular and provide authentic Panchakarma treatment to the needy patients.
- To conduct Clinical, experimental and analytical Researches to prove the efficacy and scientific basis of Panchakarma in Musculoskeletal, Neurological, Autoimmune, Lifestyle, Allergic and Neuropsychiatric disorders etc.
- To maintain health of healthy people which further manages to keep community healthy through mass awareness and campaign activity regarding seasonal body detoxification and bio-cleansing/ Ritu- sodhana
- To impart theoretical knowledge regarding purvakarma, pradhankarma and paschatkarma and also provide practical hand on exposure of procedures.
Strengthen the department in rehabilitation through integrated physiotherapy service.
- Preventive and promotive panchakarma in NCD (Non communicable disease )prevention.
- Sudents will be able to impart and translate knowledge and practice to society.
- Impart knowledge and practice in local level and contribute to improvement of health in community and nation through essential health service- purvakarma therapies.
Departmental Plans, Programs & Strategies
- To provide academic and hospital based services in preventive and curative health care program focusing on seasonal sodhana, detoxification, lifestyle disorders, NCD, Geriatrics, Rheumatological and neuromuscular disorders.
- Inter departmental Co-ordination activity in association with government officials, N.G.O, I.N.G.O.
- Keep in continuation with student and community mass awareness programs.
- Plans – Short term- National level recognition
- Long term – to get engaged in national and international level activities
- To organise short term panchakarma, purvakarma training
- To start post graduate course in Panchakarma and set up a centre of excellence in Panchakarma.
Departmental Job Responsibilities
- Teaching & learning activities
- Hospital based service in IPD for the needy patients.
- Opd based service, counselling and Panchakarma Therapies at Panchakarma unit.
To teachers,Staff, officials, community, leaders, Patients.
Departmental Mechanism to combine Teaching and Research:
Collaboration, Mutual communication, Problem based learning
Contribution in Institutional Growth & Development:
Increasing lifestyle disorders, NCD, Geriatric health and neruro muscular diorders need holistic approach in management and panchkarma provides a better solution. The department is a ray of hope for numerous disorders, preventing health and body detoxification and can contribute to strengthening hospital and campus.